Denise starts out with a great titel...follows up with a fantastic phot (fun and catchy) and than tops off this post with some really terrific tips that will help all of us in our business! Just an all around great blog. Thanks Denise!
Polly Want a ... Chicken???
In Polly’s guest post she shared her frustrations with the agents she had interviewed to list her home.
Well, I got a follow-up email from Polly this week … and I just have to share it with you.
“Denise, I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that you do not teach your coaching clients to send rubber chicken key chains as solicitations for business. And NO — this tool is not one of the people we interviewed!! This agent sends a lot of post-its and the occasional comb or letter opener but this chicken keychain was a first!”
Polly was kind enough to include the photo of the keychain she received:
(Note: I’ve blacked out contact information to protect the privacy of the agent.)
Sigh. Poor Polly! She’s been the victim of yet another example of unprofessional behavior in our industry. Which leads me to today’s topic: marketing!
You’ve probably already guessed that I’m not going to recommend you send rubber chicken key chains to potential clients. Or past clients, for that matter. A rubber chicken key chain is not going to impress anyone. Yes, it gets someone’s attention. But not in a good way.
So, if rubber chickens are out, what’s in?
Information. Expertise. Market knowledge, professionally showcased.
Yes, it’s really that simple!
For decades I’ve been recommending to agents and business people I work with that they commit to sending a high-quality mailing each month to past, present, and potential clients. And folks, I’m not talking about emails! I’m talking about quality materials, showcasing your unique brand and differentiating you from your competition.
Do you have any idea how few businesses send good quality information out by snail mail on a regular basis? If you want to position yourself as the business person of choice, commit to creating a monthly mailing that provides information your clients will find valuable.
If you’re a real estate agent, please stop sending information on changing batteries … or details of heart-healthy diets. Instead, do a little research on your local MLS. Pull statistics about what is really happening in your market – not what the media is claiming to be true.
Instead of sending rubber chickens, combs, or letter openers how about sending a visually stunning market report?
Of course, after providing this suggestion to agents for many years I’ve heard all the excuses about why they won’t do it … “Denise, I can’t afford to do a good quality printed piece,” or “Denise, snail mail is so old-fashioned. Don’t you realize everyone uses email now?”, or “Denise, I don’t want to do all that research!”.
OK. I get it. As smart as it would be to send a great quality mailer packed with information each month, some of you simply won’t do it. So let’s take a look at what else you could do to build credibility.
How else can you position yourself as an expert?
- Teach. Many community colleges, and community groups, need teachers. You don’t have to have a doctorate, or even a master’s degree. First-time home buyer classes are something I’ve recommended for years, but think beyond this.
- Start a blog. Done correctly, blogging can be a quick (and very effective) way of building expertise. But do it poorly, and you’ll regret it. (If you need help learning to build the best blog – ever! – check out my work-at-your-own-pace “No Blogger Left Behind course”).
- Guest blog. Not enough time to create and maintain your own blog? Offer to be a guest poster on someone else’s blog. This is a great way to get your feet wet.
- Radio / podcast: The number of radio shows and podcasts are increasing every day … and that means hosts are looking for guests. Don’t worry – you don’t have to be a celebrity to participate. You just need information about your line of work!
- Video: Whether you post these directly to YouTube or you also put them on your website or blog, video is powerful, and the audience for video is enormous. If you can’t afford to mail market information, how about creating a video instead?
- Press release: Need to get the word out about something interesting you’re doing in your business? If you’re doing something unusual, or solving an interesting problem in your industry, a press release can help create visibility.
Before you place that order for rubber chicken key chains, really think about what you’re spending your money on … and what message you’re sending. And then take action – a different action. Create attention with dynamic market information that showcases your expertise, not gimmicky rubber chickens.
By Denise Lones CSP, M.I.R.M., CDEI - The founding partner of The Lones Group, Denise Lones, brings over two decades of experience in the real estate industry. With expertise in strategic marketing, business analysis, branding, new home project planning, product development, and agent/broker training, Denise is nationally recognized as the source for all things "real estate". With a passion for improvement, Denise has helped thousands of real estate agents, brokers, and managers build their business to unprecedented levels of success, while helping them maintain balance and quality of life.
Cindy Edwards- text or call me: 423-677-6677
OR: Subscribe to my blog via email!
My name is Cindy Edwards and I am a Realtor in Tri-Cities Tennessee. We have a very successful Team concept that has something for everyone. If you are looking to buy or sell in Johnson City, Bristol or Kingsport Tennessee, you have made the right stop here! Please visit our website that is about the surrounding area of the Tri-Cities and helps you realize what a fantastic place this area is to live. Tri-Cities is close to some very popular areas and boasts Mountains and lakes!
We have a full time photographer, handyman, web marketer and client care manager on our team. As well as a buyers agent and I myself specialize in listing and selling YOUR property. Please visit us on the web and let us make your next home buying or selling experience a positive one, you'll remember for years! Or goal is to have you come back to us